Call Us - 1300 034 888
Travel Insurance – FAQ2019-07-08T12:52:46+10:00

FAQ – Travel Insurance

What is the end odometer reading?2021-08-31T17:53:21+10:00

The end odometer reading indicates the maximum odometer reading for your car during the period of insurance and will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

At the time of a claim, if your car has exceeded the end odometer reading, you will need to pay an Outside odometer excess, as well as any other excesses applicable. There are some claims for which an excess does not apply.

See our PDS for more details.

Do I have to fill out forms to make a claim?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Most of our home and contents insurance claims can be completed over the telephone. To ensure we get all of the details right, we may ask you to put pen to paper when finalising your claim. Your personal Client Manager will help you through this process.

What is an excess?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

An excess is the amount(s) of money you pay or must contribute towards the cost of any claim. All excess amounts relevant to your cover will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. When you take out home insurance with Kogan Insurance, you can nominate the level of excess you want. Generally, the higher the excess you choose, the lower your premium will be.

Additional or fixed excesses may apply in certain situations, and these are detailed in the Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change my home and/or contents insurance excess?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can increase your level of excess at any time during your home and/or contents insurance policy period. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy or during the 14 day cooling off period if you have not made a claim.

How do I find out how much my home insurance excess is?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can find your nominated level of excess on your home and/or contents Certificate of Insurance, sent to you when you took out your policy with Kogan Insurance, or when your policy renewed. If you can’t find these documents, please call us on 1300 034 888 to find out your excess amount/s.

How does the excess amount affect the premium I pay?2021-03-23T15:17:54+10:00

The excess is the amount you contribute towards a claim, therefore, if you are willing to contribute more at the time of a claim (higher excess) you will have a lower premium during the policy period. A lower excess would mean you would pay a higher premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.

If there is damage to both my home and contents do I need to pay two excesses if I lodge a claim?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

In the event that the claim relates to the same insured event and the damage sustained is due to the same insured event (i.e. storm damage to your home and contents), then you would only need to pay whichever excess is the higher of your home or contents excess.

How do I know how much I should insure my home for?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We can only provide general advice about your home and contents insurance; we can’t provide you with advice about the replacement cost of your home. When considering the sum insured for your home insurance, this amount should cover the full cost to rebuild your home including the cost of structural improvements such as carports, fences and pools and clearing debris from the land in the event of a total loss, however, the sum insured should not include land value.

You should also consider increased building costs to meet stringent and Local Council building requirements. If you are unsure of the replacement cost, a builder or architect may be able to assist you or we strongly recommend you use a home building calculator.

Do I need to know the measurements for my house?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

No, we do not need to know the exact measurements of your home. Some examples of the things we need to know about your home are:

  • The address and age of the building
  • The construction type and roofing materials (for example, brick, cladding, tile)
  • The security measures in the home (for example, alarms and deadlocks)
Why don’t you offer an ‘unlimited’ building sum insured?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Kogan Insurance lets you choose your own sum insured for your home and contents insurance. This way, you have peace of mind knowing that you are covered for the amount you think you’ll need if you suffer a total loss of your home. There is no advantage in being over-insured and paying a higher premium because of this.

How do I know how much to insure my contents for? I don’t know how much they would cost to replace.2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We strongly recommend the use of a Contents Calculator to determine an appropriate sum for your needs.

We are unable to provide you advice on an appropriate sum and rely on you to assess the amount of coverage you require.

Your contents sum insured should include items such as your carpet, blinds, curtains, personal items, furniture and household goods. Items of value which can be individually listed on your Certificate of Insurance such as jewellery or artworks should also be included in the overall sum insured. Estimating the cost can be difficult so being aware of the replacement cost of items through advertisements and magazines can be helpful.

Why do I need to list certain items on my policy?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Certain items such as valuables, collectibles and media have limits of cover inside the home. If you would like to be covered for the full amount you will need to tell us and list these on your Certificate of Insurance. You will need to provide proof of the value of the item at the time of a claim.

What happens if I don’t list my valuables and they are stolen?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

There are policy limits to certain items so if they are not listed on your policy for the full value, they may be subject to the limit as stated in our Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change the level of cover of insurance at any time?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We like to provide you with the flexibility to change your cover to suit your changing needs, therefore, we offer the option to update your cover during the policy period. Please speak to us immediately as changes to your cover will be effective from the time you tell us of this change.

Do you have insurance for accidental damage?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We understand that accidents sometimes happen. This is why we offer cover for accidental damage as part of our Top Cover home and contents insurance. So, if you accidentally spill paint on your carpet or break a chair accidentally, you would be covered.

See our Product Disclosure Statements for more information on what is covered by, and excluded from, our policies.

Is my mobile phone covered inside the home if it is damaged or stolen?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

If you have Top Cover and your mobile phone was accidentally damaged inside the home then it would be covered. If your phone was stolen from the home, you would need to provide a Police Event No. In both instances, your basic excess would apply.

My contents aren’t worth that much, what is the point in having insurance cover?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You need to consider the cost to replace all of your items not what they are worth at this point. In the event of a claim, if you need to replace all your items you may not have the money available to do so and this is why it is recommended to have contents insurance.

We strongly recommend the use of a Contents Calculator to determine an appropriate sum for your needs.

Are mobility scooters in retirement villages covered under your insurance?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

They will be covered under your contents cover if they are damaged or stolen from within the home. Mobility Scooters can also be covered outside of the home as ‘Portable Valuables’ for an additional premium.

How can I pay for my home and/or contents insurance policy?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to worry about missing a payment.

How can I reduce my home and/or contents insurance premium?2021-07-01T09:21:52+10:00

You can reduce your home and contents premium by choosing a higher excess. Remember though, that while your premium will be cheaper, you will have to pay a higher excess if you need to make a claim.

How do I make a claim?2017-07-27T17:18:57+10:00

For all general travel claim enquiries please contact us at 1300 034 088 (9am to 5pm AEST, Monday to Friday).

Alternatively you can e-mail us at
Or write to us at: Kogan Travel Claims, Locked Bag 2010, St Leonards 1590.

If you have an urgent overseas medical emergency, call our international line at: +64 9 975 4408

Have your policy number handy when you call, so we can help you as quickly as possible.

For all emergency and non-emergency claims, download the appropriate claim form and send it to us to process, along with any required supporting documents. If you need help filling out your claim form, call us on 1300 034 888 and we’ll be happy to help.

Does Kogan Travel Insurance cover medical expenses within Australia?2017-08-03T16:21:41+10:00

Kogan Travel Insurance policies are not permitted by law to cover medical costs incurred within Australia. If you become sick or injured while travelling in Australia, you’ll be entitled to cover for treatment under Medicare and/or your private health insurer.

What happens if I get sick or injured overseas but don’t feel it’s an emergency?2017-08-03T16:21:36+10:00

If you need medical treatment as an outpatient while overseas and the costs are less than $1,000, keep all your medical receipts and reports from the treating doctors. You’ll need these to support your claim when you return home.

What is the urgent emergency assistance phone number to call while I am travelling?2017-08-03T16:21:32+10:00

Our 24-hour urgent emergency phone number is:

From overseas: +64 9 975 4408

From within Australia: 1300 100 313

Have your policy number handy when you call, so we can help you as quickly as possible.

Who do I contact if I get sick or injured while travelling overseas?2017-08-03T16:21:45+10:00

Kogan Travel Insurance has appointed First Assistance to administer all emergency assistance services and claims. If you’re hospitalised, you or your travelling companion must contact First Assistance as soon as possible on +64 9 975 4408 . First Assistance will be available to take your call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

First Assistance will help you get treated for medical problems; locate the nearest medical facility, embassy or consulate; arrange your return home if it’s medically necessary; and liaise with your loved ones and work colleagues as required in an emergency. If you don’t contact First Assistance, we will not pay for any expenses, evacuation costs or airfares that have not been approved or arranged by us.

Am I covered if I’m pregnant?2017-08-03T16:21:27+10:00

Subject to the exceptions listed below, many Kogan Travel Insurance benefits are still available to you if you’re pregnant. These include:

  1. Overseas emergency medical assistance
  2. Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses (including any pregnancy-related expenses unless they are excluded, as described below)
  3. Cancellation fees and lost deposits
  4. Additional expenses (if you choose a Comprehensive policy)
  5. Hospital cash allowance (if you choose a Comprehensive policy)

Please note that some pregnancy-related exclusions aren’t covered. We will not cover any claim:

  1. If you are undergoing fertility treatment, either now or before you start your trip
  2. If your trip extends past the 26th week of your pregnancy when you are expecting a single child
  3. If our trip extends past the 19th week of your pregnancy when you are expecting twins or multiple children
  4. For childbirth
  5. For regular antenatal care
  6. For care of a newborn child
  7. If you have experienced any pregnancy complications or other health complications that you have been advised may adversely affect the pregnancy.

See the Product Disclosure Statement for full details of the terms, conditions and exclusions before buying to decide if this product is right for you.

Will my children be covered by my insurance?2017-08-03T16:22:19+10:00

Any dependants aged under 21 who don’t have a full-time job will be automatically insured if you name them on your insurance policy, as long as they travel with a parent, grandparent or guardian for 100% of the journey. And what’s even better — they get insured for free!

And if you upgrade your cover to include Winter Sports, they’ll be covered by this optional cover too.

What happens if I develop a condition after I buy travel insurance but before I leave on my trip. Am I covered?2019-07-03T17:29:45+10:00

You may have provision to claim for cancellation expenses if you are not aware of the medical condition before your policy purchase. However, the Claims Team will require all necessary supporting documentation in order to fully assess your claim.

I have a pre-existing medical condition that isn’t automatically covered. Can I still get cover?2017-08-03T16:21:57+10:00

If you have a condition that doesn’t meet the policy requirements for automatic cover, Kogan Insurance is unable to cover that condition under any of our travel insurance policies. However, your insurance will still cover you for a range of other conditions, along with all the other standard policy benefits.

Which pre-existing medical conditions are covered?2017-08-03T16:22:05+10:00

If your pre-existing medical condition isn’t listed below, it won’t be covered by Kogan Travel Insurance:

  1. Acne
  2. Allergies limited to Rhinitis, Chronic Sinusitis, Eczema, Food Intolerance and Hay Fever
  3. Asthma, providing that you:
    1. have no other lung disease; and
    2. are under the age of 60 on the date you buy the policy
  4. Bell’s Palsy
  5. Benign Positional Vertigo
  6. Bunions
  7. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
  8. Cataracts
  9. Coeliac Disease
  10. Congenital Blindness
  11. Congenital Deafness
  12. Diabetes Mellitus (Type 1)1, providing that you:
    1. were diagnosed over 12 months ago; and
    2. have no eye, kidney, nerve or vascular complications; and
    3. do not also suffer from a known Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension, Hyperlipidaemia or Hypercholesterolaemia; and
    4. are under the age of 60 on the date you buy the policy
  13. Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2)1, providing that you:
    1. were diagnosed over 12 months ago; and
    2. have no eye, kidney, nerve or vascular complications; and
    3. do not also suffer from a known Cardiovascular Disease, Hypertension, Hyperlipidaemia or Hypercholesterolaemia
  14. Dry Eye Syndrome
  15. Epilepsy, providing there has been no change to your medication regime in the past 12 months
  16. Folate Deficiency
  17. Gastric Reflux
  18. Goitre
  19. Glaucoma
  20. Graves’ Disease
  21. Hiatus Hernia
  22. Hypercholesterolaemia (High Cholesterol)1, provided that you do not also suffer from a known Cardiovascular Disease and/or Diabetes
  23. Hyperlipidaemia (High Blood Lipids)1, provided that you do not also suffer from a known Cardiovascular Disease and/or Diabetes
  24. Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)1, provided that you do not also suffer from a known Cardiovascular Disease and/or Diabetes
  25. Hypothyroidism, including Hashimoto’s Disease
  26. Impaired Glucose Tolerance
  27. Incontinence
  28. Insulin Resistance
  29. Iron Deficiency Anaemia
  30. Macular Degeneration
  31. Meniere’s Disease
  32. Migraine
  33. Nocturnal Cramps
  34. Osteopaenia
  35. Osteoporosis
  36. Pernicious Anaemia
  37. Plantar Fasciitis
  38. Raynaud’s Disease
  39. Sleep Apnoea
  40. Solar Keratosis
  41. Trigeminal Neuralgia
  42. Trigger Finger
  43. Vitamin B12 Deficiency

1. Diabetes (Type I and Type II), Hypertension, Hypercholesterolaemia and Hyperlipidaemia are risk factors for Cardiovascular Disease. If you have a history of Cardiovascular Disease and it’s a pre-existing medical condition, cover is excluded for these conditions.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?2017-08-03T16:22:10+10:00

Pre-existing medical condition” refers to any medical or dental condition at any time prior to your policy purchase or at any time after your policy purchase but prior to your departure:

  1. That is ongoing or chronic,
  2. That has been diagnosed, or is being investigated, or is pending diagnosis or test results;
  3. That manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms, which would have caused a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment within 30 days prior to booking a particular journey or your travel departure date;
  4. Where you have visited an emergency department, required hospitalisation, or had surgery for;
  5. That you currently receive treatment, take prescription medication, receive regular check-ups or consult a medical specialist for
  6.  Where there are any complications, whether direct or indirect, that are related to such conditions as referred to above

This applies to you, your dependants, your travelling companion, a relative or any other person. This includes any complications, whether direct or indirect, that are related to the pre-existing medical condition.

If you suffer from a medical condition between the time you purchase the policy and your departure date, you are covered for Benefit 3 –Cancellation fees and lost deposits from the time the policy is issued. However, you are not covered under any other benefits between the time you purchase the policy and the end of your period of insurance for claims arising from or related to Pre-existing Medical Conditions.

See the Product Disclosure Statement for full details of the terms, conditions and exclusions before you buy Kogan Travel Insurance, so you can be sure it’s right for you.

What is an excess?2017-08-03T16:22:14+10:00

This is the amount you must pay towards the cost of a claim you make under the policy. An excess of $200 applies to a number of sections in your policy. When you first buy a Kogan Travel Insurance policy you can choose to pay a small extra amount upfront, which means you won’t need to pay an excess if you have to make a claim.

Please see the Product Disclosure Statement for more information.

How do I extend my policy?2017-08-03T16:23:09+10:00

There are different rules for extending your policy depending whether it is a Basic or Comprehensive policy.

To extend your Basic or Comprehensive policy, simply contact us at least two days before your policy is due to expire. You can phone us on 1300 034 888 Monday to Friday between 8am and 7pm AEST or on Saturday between 9am and 5pm AEST. Your policy can only be extended once, up to a maximum combined duration of 12 months.

There are certain instances where a policy cannot be extended:

  1. If you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition, unless it is one of the automatically covered conditions listed in the Product Disclosure Statement and you have not been hospitalised (including day surgery or emergency department attendance) for that condition in the past 24 months.
  2. For conditions suffered during the term of the original policy.
  3. If you have not advised us of any circumstances that have led or may lead to a claim under your original policy.
  4. If you are aged 71 years or over from the date you wish to extend a Basic or Comprehensive policy.
When do I receive my policy documents?2017-08-03T16:21:49+10:00

As soon as you buy a Kogan Travel Insurance policy, we’ll email your policy documents to you. This means you can buy a policy right up until the minute you leave for your trip. It’s a good idea to print out your policy documents and carry them with you when you travel, and also leave the policy documents in your email inbox so you can access them if you need to. If you prefer, you can ask us to post the policy documents, free of charge to you.

What happens if I change my mind and want to cancel the policy?2017-08-03T16:22:25+10:00

All Kogan Travel Insurance policies come with a 14-day cooling off period, which starts from the day you buy your policy. If you decide to cancel your policy during that time, we’ll give you a full refund — as long as you haven’t started your journey and haven’t yet made any claims or exercised any other rights under the policy.

Why do I need travel insurance?2017-08-03T16:23:18+10:00

Travel insurance helps protect you against unexpected expenses when you travel, from things like theft, accidents or medical problems. To find out more about the benefits of travel insurance, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smartraveller website.

Can I adapt my cover if I have special requirements?2017-08-03T16:23:22+10:00

Kogan Travel Insurance is all about building your own travel insurance plan that’s right for your needs. Our Basic and Comprehensive options give you a world of choice, whether you’re on a tight budget, you’re looking for total protection. And we’ve made it even more flexible, with options like $0 excess, winter sports cover and extra cover available for valuable items.

What does travel insurance cover?2019-07-03T17:30:43+10:00

All Kogan Travel Insurance options offer 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance, and free insurance for dependants up to 21 travelling with parents, grandparents or guardian. With any Kogan Travel Insurance policy, you’re also covered for overseas medical treatment, lost or stolen belongings, trip cancellation costs and personal liability if you injure someone or damage property.

By choosing Kogan’s Comprehensive policy, you’re also insured for things like travel delays and extra accommodation costs, accidental death, disability or loss of income from an injury. There is also rental vehicle excess cover in case your rental car is damaged or stolen.

Be sure to read through the terms, conditions and exclusions outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement to see which policy is best for you.

Who can get insured?2017-08-03T16:23:32+10:00

Kogan Travel Insurance is only available to Australian residents, and you need to buy your travel insurance before you travel. Age restrictions also apply — our Basic and Comprehensive policies are available for travellers up to 79 years of age.

How do I take out a Kogan Travel Insurance policy?2017-08-03T16:23:36+10:00

You can get a quote and buy Kogan Travel Insurance online now. Otherwise, call us on 1300 034 888 and one of our insurance specialists will be happy to help you.

Make A Claim

Got a Question?

Call Us

1300 034 888

Product Disclosure Statements
Go to Top