Call Us - 1300 034 888
Landlords Insurance – FAQ2022-02-02T15:18:56+10:00

As of 3 February 2022, we are no longer partnering with our previous underwriter Hollard Australia for Home, Motor or Landlord insurance. That means, from this date we are no longer offering renewal on existing Hollard policies because the products no longer exist. We are planning to offer alternative policies using another underwriter and will publish more information about this once the details are confirmed.

You can find more information on our Information page.

For Existing Policyholders Only

FAQ – Landlords Insurance

Assisting you if you’re experiencing domestic or family violence2020-06-29T11:35:34+10:00

We understand that there are times when our customers may be feeling vulnerable, and we appreciate this can take on many forms such as language barriers, financial hardship, and issues and difficulties arising from domestic family violence. In these situations, we are committed to providing extra care. Read More.

Do I have to fill out forms to make a claim?2017-08-03T16:17:03+10:00

Most of our landlord, building and contents insurance claims can be completed over the telephone. To ensure we get all of the details right, we may ask you to put pen to paper when finalising your claim. Your personal Client Manager will help you through this process.

What is an excess?2017-08-03T16:17:28+10:00

An excess is the amount(s) of money you pay or must contribute towards the cost of any claim. All excess amounts relevant to your cover will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. When you take out Landlords Insurance with Kogan Insurance, you can nominate the level of excess you want. Generally, the higher the excess you choose, the lower your premium will be.

Additional or fixed excesses may apply in certain situations, and these are detailed in the Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change my Landlords Insurance excesses?2017-08-03T16:16:58+10:00

You can increase your level of excess at any time during your Landlords Insurance policy period. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy or during the 14 day cooling off period if you have not made a claim.

How do I find out how much my Landlords Insurance excess is?2017-08-03T16:17:22+10:00

You can find your nominated level of excess on your Landlords Certificate of Insurance, sent to you when you took out your policy with Kogan Insurance, or when your policy renewed. If you can’t find these documents, please call us on 1300 034 888 to find out your excess amount(s).

How does the excess amount affect the premium I pay?2021-03-23T15:17:57+10:00

The excess is the amount you contribute towards a claim, therefore, if you are willing to contribute more at the time of a claim (higher excess) you will have a lower premium during the policy period. A lower excess would mean you would pay a higher premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.

If there is damage to both my building and contents do I need to pay two excesses if I lodge a claim?2017-08-03T16:19:01+10:00

In the event that the claim relates to the same insured event and the damage sustained is due to the same insured event (i.e. storm damage to your building and contents), then you would only need to pay whichever excess is the higher of your building or contents excess.

How do I know how much I should insure my building for?2017-07-14T15:04:06+10:00

We can only provide general advice about your Landlords Insurance; we can’t provide you with advice about the replacement cost of your building. When considering the sum insured for your building insurance, this amount should cover the full cost to rebuild including the cost of structural improvements such as carports, fences and pools and clearing debris from the land in the event of a total loss, however, the sum insured should not include land value.

You should also consider increased building costs to meet stringent and Local Council building requirements. If you are unsure of the replacement cost, a builder or architect may be able to assist you or we strongly recommend you use a building calculator.

Do I need to know the measurements for the building?2017-08-03T16:16:45+10:00

No, we do not need to know the exact measurements of the building. Some examples of the things we need to know are:

  • The address and age of the building
  • The construction type and roofing materials (for example, brick, cladding, tile)
  • The security measures in the building (for example, alarms and deadlocks)
Why don’t you offer an ‘unlimited’ building sum insured?2017-07-13T14:36:17+10:00

Kogan Insurance lets you choose your own sum insured for your building and contents insurance. This way, you have peace of mind knowing that you are covered for the amount you think you’ll need if you suffer a total loss of your building. There is no advantage in being over-insured and paying a higher premium because of this.

Are my fences covered?2017-07-13T14:36:17+10:00

Fences are covered under our insured events, however, we do not cover damage caused by storm, rainwater or flood if the fences and gates are not structurally sound or well maintained.

Motor burnout is automatically included on my previous insurance, why do I have to pay with you?2020-05-17T20:21:54+10:00

Each insurer will have different cover levels. We do not want you to have to pay for things you may not need, therefore motor burnout is an optional benefit you can choose to include in your cover or not.

How can I pay for my Landlords Insurance policy?2017-08-03T16:19:45+10:00

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to worry about missing a payment.

How can I reduce my Landlords Insurance premium?2017-08-03T16:19:50+10:00

You can reduce your premium by choosing a higher excess. Remember though, that while your premium will be cheaper, you will have to pay a higher excess if you need to make a claim.

How do I renew my Landlords Insurance policy?2021-06-30T12:43:10+10:00

If we offer renewal, the policy will automatically renew as per the renewal notice. We will send you this renewal notice at least 14 days before your renewal date which will outline what you need to do to stay covered. You should check your renewal notice carefully and contact us on 1300 034 888 if you need to make any changes to your policy or details.

With automatic renewal, your renewal notice will set out the proposed new policy terms and premium. If no changes are required to your policy and your premium payments are up to date, you don’t need to do anything – your policy will automatically renew. If you would like to opt out of automatic renewal, please email us at with your name, phone number, date of birth and policy number.

If you opted out of automatic renewal, your renewal notice will advise you to call to continue your cover. We will provide you with a quote and policy terms. If you’re happy to proceed, we will renew your policy.

What payment frequencies do you have?2018-05-18T17:32:53+10:00

You can pay your landlords insurance (as well as home and car insurance) premiums annually or by the month.

Does it cost any extra if I pay by the month?2018-05-24T09:09:09+10:00

Paying monthly does cost a little extra. Alternatively, you can choose to pay less with an annual payment option.

Can I delay my monthly insurance payment?2017-08-03T16:21:03+10:00

We are unable to delay payments, however, if one of your payments is unsuccessful, you have 30 days from your payment due date to make the payment before your policy is cancelled. If your policy is being renewed and your payment is unsuccessful, you will have 14 days from your payment due date to make this payment.

What happens if my payment date falls on a weekend or public holiday?2017-07-13T14:36:16+10:00

If your payment date happens to fall on a weekend or public holiday, the payment will be taken out on the next business day.

Can I pay my premium fortnightly?2018-05-24T09:10:05+10:00

We do not offer fortnightly payments, but we do offer both monthly and annual payment options. You can pay less if you choose to pay annually.

Why has my Landlords sum insured increased on my renewal documents?2017-08-03T16:19:40+10:00

Each year at your insurance renewal, we automatically adjust the amount you are insured for to help the cover keep pace with inflation. In addition to this adjustment, you may also need to consider (amongst other things) recently completed improvements to your building.

Are my bank / credit card details protected?2017-08-03T16:20:13+10:00

We take the collection and privacy of your details very seriously and ensure that your details remain secure once they are entered into our system. Our Privacy Policy details how we treat the security of your personal information.

How do I change my details on my Landlords Insurance policy?2017-08-03T16:20:18+10:00

If you have sold or moved into your investment property, need to increase your sum insured, or advise us of any other changes to your details, then please call us on 1300 034 888. We don’t charge any administration fees to make these changes.

Please keep in mind that your premium may go up or down, depending on the change you need to make.

I have lost my insurance documents, how do I get replacement documents?2017-08-03T16:19:35+10:00

If you’ve lost your Landlord Certificate of Insurance or Product Disclosure Statement, simply call us on 1300 034 888, and we’ll email, fax or post copies of your documents to you. You can also download the Product Disclosure Statement directly from our web site.

My financier needs an insurance certificate, what do I do?2017-08-03T16:21:14+10:00

If your financier needs a copy of your Certificate of Currency, call us on 1300 034 888, and we’ll arrange to email, fax or post a copy to them. Please have your financier’s contact details ready when you call.

What is Strata Title?2017-08-03T16:21:10+10:00

Strata Title is a title based on dividing the site into lots with separate titles. The most common application of Strata Title is for units; but it is also used for complexes with a number of duplexes and villas.

Can I get Landlords Insurance if my building is under Strata Title?2017-08-03T16:21:22+10:00

We cannot normally insure your building if it has a Strata Title and is insured under a body corporate. However, there may be some instances where we can offer building insurance for Strata Title properties. If you are unsure, please call us on 1300 034 888 to discuss with us. We can offer contents insurance to cover the fixtures and fittings that aren’t covered by the body corporate’s insurance.

I’ve divorced/separated from my partner. Who is listed on my insurance?2017-08-03T16:21:18+10:00

If you have divorced, or separated from a partner listed on your building and contents insurance documents, please call us on 1300 034 888. As each situation is different, we can discuss your needs confidentially over the phone, and make any necessary changes to your policy.

What should I do if I move?2017-07-13T14:36:15+10:00

If you move, you need to call 1300 034 888 to tell us the details of your address as this may affect where we send your documentation.

Do you offer cover notes?2017-07-13T14:36:15+10:00

No, we do not offer cover notes for building, contents or Landlords insurance.

Make A Claim

Got a Question?

Call Us

1300 034 888

Product Disclosure Statements

Go to Top