Call Us - 1300 034 888
Home & Contents Insurance – FAQ2022-02-02T15:20:48+10:00

As of 3 February 2022, we are no longer partnering with our previous underwriter Hollard Australia for Home, Motor or Landlord insurance. That means, from this date we are no longer offering renewal on existing Hollard policies because the products no longer exist. We are planning to offer alternative policies using another underwriter and will publish more information about this once the details are confirmed.

You can find more information on our Information page.

For Existing Policyholders Only

FAQ – Home Insurance

Assisting you if you’re experiencing domestic or family violence2020-06-29T11:35:34+10:00

We understand that there are times when our customers may be feeling vulnerable, and we appreciate this can take on many forms such as language barriers, financial hardship, and issues and difficulties arising from domestic family violence. In these situations, we are committed to providing extra care. Read More.

Do I have to fill out forms to make a claim?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Most of our home and contents insurance claims can be completed over the telephone. To ensure we get all of the details right, we may ask you to put pen to paper when finalising your claim. Your personal Client Manager will help you through this process.

What is an excess?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

An excess is the amount(s) of money you pay or must contribute towards the cost of any claim. All excess amounts relevant to your cover will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. When you take out home insurance with Kogan Insurance, you can nominate the level of excess you want. Generally, the higher the excess you choose, the lower your premium will be.

Additional or fixed excesses may apply in certain situations, and these are detailed in the Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change my home and/or contents insurance excess?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can increase your level of excess at any time during your home and/or contents insurance policy period. However, you can only decrease your excess when renewing your policy or during the 14 day cooling off period if you have not made a claim.

How do I find out how much my home insurance excess is?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can find your nominated level of excess on your home and/or contents Certificate of Insurance, sent to you when you took out your policy with Kogan Insurance, or when your policy renewed. If you can’t find these documents, please call us on 1300 034 888 to find out your excess amount/s.

How does the excess amount affect the premium I pay?2021-03-23T15:17:54+10:00

The excess is the amount you contribute towards a claim, therefore, if you are willing to contribute more at the time of a claim (higher excess) you will have a lower premium during the policy period. A lower excess would mean you would pay a higher premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you ever have to claim.

If there is damage to both my home and contents do I need to pay two excesses if I lodge a claim?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

In the event that the claim relates to the same insured event and the damage sustained is due to the same insured event (i.e. storm damage to your home and contents), then you would only need to pay whichever excess is the higher of your home or contents excess.

How do I know how much I should insure my home for?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We can only provide general advice about your home and contents insurance; we can’t provide you with advice about the replacement cost of your home. When considering the sum insured for your home insurance, this amount should cover the full cost to rebuild your home including the cost of structural improvements such as carports, fences and pools and clearing debris from the land in the event of a total loss, however, the sum insured should not include land value.

You should also consider increased building costs to meet stringent and Local Council building requirements. If you are unsure of the replacement cost, a builder or architect may be able to assist you or we strongly recommend you use a home building calculator.

Do I need to know the measurements for my house?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

No, we do not need to know the exact measurements of your home. Some examples of the things we need to know about your home are:

  • The address and age of the building
  • The construction type and roofing materials (for example, brick, cladding, tile)
  • The security measures in the home (for example, alarms and deadlocks)
Why don’t you offer an ‘unlimited’ building sum insured?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Kogan Insurance lets you choose your own sum insured for your home and contents insurance. This way, you have peace of mind knowing that you are covered for the amount you think you’ll need if you suffer a total loss of your home. There is no advantage in being over-insured and paying a higher premium because of this.

How do I know how much to insure my contents for? I don’t know how much they would cost to replace.2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We strongly recommend the use of a Contents Calculator to determine an appropriate sum for your needs.

We are unable to provide you advice on an appropriate sum and rely on you to assess the amount of coverage you require.

Your contents sum insured should include items such as your carpet, blinds, curtains, personal items, furniture and household goods. Items of value which can be individually listed on your Certificate of Insurance such as jewellery or artworks should also be included in the overall sum insured. Estimating the cost can be difficult so being aware of the replacement cost of items through advertisements and magazines can be helpful.

Why do I need to list certain items on my policy?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

Certain items such as valuables, collectibles and media have limits of cover inside the home. If you would like to be covered for the full amount you will need to tell us and list these on your Certificate of Insurance. You will need to provide proof of the value of the item at the time of a claim.

What happens if I don’t list my valuables and they are stolen?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

There are policy limits to certain items so if they are not listed on your policy for the full value, they may be subject to the limit as stated in our Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change the level of cover of insurance at any time?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We like to provide you with the flexibility to change your cover to suit your changing needs, therefore, we offer the option to update your cover during the policy period. Please speak to us immediately as changes to your cover will be effective from the time you tell us of this change.

Do you have insurance for accidental damage?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

We understand that accidents sometimes happen. This is why we offer cover for accidental damage as part of our Top Cover home and contents insurance. So, if you accidentally spill paint on your carpet or break a chair accidentally, you would be covered.

See our Product Disclosure Statements for more information on what is covered by, and excluded from, our policies.

Is my mobile phone covered inside the home if it is damaged or stolen?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

If you have Top Cover and your mobile phone was accidentally damaged inside the home then it would be covered. If your phone was stolen from the home, you would need to provide a Police Event No. In both instances, your basic excess would apply.

Are my fences covered?2017-07-13T14:36:18+10:00

Fences are covered under our insured events, however, we do not cover damage caused by storm, rainwater or flood if the fences and gates are not structurally sound or well maintained.

My contents aren’t worth that much, what is the point in having insurance cover?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You need to consider the cost to replace all of your items not what they are worth at this point. In the event of a claim, if you need to replace all your items you may not have the money available to do so and this is why it is recommended to have contents insurance.

We strongly recommend the use of a Contents Calculator to determine an appropriate sum for your needs.

Are mobility scooters in retirement villages covered under your insurance?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

They will be covered under your contents cover if they are damaged or stolen from within the home. Mobility Scooters can also be covered outside of the home as ‘Portable Valuables’ for an additional premium.

How can I pay for my home and/or contents insurance policy?2020-04-28T14:29:13+10:00

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to worry about missing a payment.

How can I reduce my home and/or contents insurance premium?2021-07-01T09:21:52+10:00

You can reduce your home and contents premium by choosing a higher excess. Remember though, that while your premium will be cheaper, you will have to pay a higher excess if you need to make a claim.

What payment frequencies do you have?2018-05-18T17:32:52+10:00

You can pay your home and/or contents insurance (as well as car insurance) premiums annually or by the month.

What happens if my payment date falls on a weekend or public holiday?2017-08-03T16:17:43+10:00

If your payment date happens to fall on a weekend or public holiday, the payment will be taken out on the next business day.

Can I pay my premium fortnightly?2018-05-24T09:09:51+10:00

We do not offer fortnightly payments, but we do offer both monthly and annual payment options. You can pay less if you choose to pay annually.

Why has my home and contents sum insured increased on my renewal documents?2017-08-03T16:18:03+10:00

Each year at your insurance renewal, we automatically adjust the amount you are insured for to help the cover keep pace with inflation. In addition to this adjustment, you may also need to consider (amongst other things) the value of any new contents or recently completed improvements to your home.

Are my bank / credit card details protected?2017-08-03T16:17:48+10:00

We take the collection and privacy of your details very seriously and ensure that your details remain secure once they are entered into our system. Our Privacy Policy details how we treat the security of your personal information.

How do I change my details on my home and/or contents insurance policy?2017-07-14T15:22:15+10:00

If you have moved, need to increase your sum insured, or advise us of any other changes to your details, then please call us on 1300 034 888. We don’t charge any administration fees to make these changes.

Please keep in mind that your home or contents insurance premium may go up or down, depending on the change you need to make.

I have lost my home and/or contents insurance documents, how do I get replacement documents?2017-08-03T16:17:57+10:00

If you’ve lost your home Certificate of Insurance or Product Disclosure Statement, simply call us on 1300 034 888, and we’ll email, fax or post copies of your documents to you. You can also download the Product Disclosure Statement directly from our web site.

My financier needs an insurance certificate, what do I do?2017-07-14T15:22:45+10:00

If your financier needs a copy of your home and/or contents Certificate of Currency, call us on 1300 034 888, and we’ll arrange to email, fax or post a copy to them. Please have your financier’s contact details ready when you call.

What is Strata Title?2017-08-03T16:17:52+10:00

Strata Title is a title based on dividing the site into lots with separate titles. The most common application of Strata Title is for units; but it is also used for complexes with a number of duplexes and villas.

Can I get building insurance if my home is under Strata Title?2017-08-03T16:17:07+10:00

We cannot normally insure your home if it has a Strata Title and is insured under a body corporate. However, there may be some instances where we can offer building insurance for Strata Title properties. If you are unsure, please call us on 1300 034 888 to discuss with us. We can offer contents insurance to cover the fixtures and fittings that aren’t covered by the body corporate’s insurance.

What does Heritage Listed mean?2017-08-03T16:17:33+10:00

Heritage listing provides formal recognition by your local council or the State Government that a place has heritage significance and that the community wants to keep it for future generations.

What insurance should I get if I am a tenant?2020-08-07T17:58:22+10:00

When you are renting or are a tenant, make sure that you get the right cover for your possessions while you live in someone else’s property. Contents Insurance is the perfect insurance for tenants, as it can help you get your life back to normal as soon as possible after an unfortunate event.

Kogan Contents Insurance protects against theft, fire, earthquakes, lightning, storms, vandalism, sudden bursting of water pipes, and more, all at an affordable price. Best of all, it comes with a 24/7 claims service that’s based in Australia and flexible payment options.

I’ve divorced/separated from my partner. Who is listed on my insurance?2017-08-03T16:18:12+10:00

If you have divorced, or separated from a partner listed on your home and contents insurance documents, please call us on 1300 034 888. As each situation is different, we can discuss your needs confidentially over the phone, and make any necessary changes to your policy.

What should I do if I move?2017-08-03T16:16:49+10:00

If you move, you need to call 1300 034 888 to tell us the details of your new home. When you call us, please have the following information handy:

  • The date you are moving address
  • Your new address
  • The age of your new home and its construction and security details

Please be aware that because your premium is based on your location, as well as the specific details of your house, the premium may change when you move.

Do you offer cover notes?2017-08-03T16:18:07+10:00

No, we do not offer cover notes for home, contents or landlord’s insurance.

Are any of my personal details ‘sold’ or disclosed to any other 3rd parties?2017-08-03T16:16:54+10:00

Hollard and Kogan Insurance have a Privacy Policy which complies with relevant Australian Privacy Law and details how we treat your personal information. This information is also available in our Product Disclosure Statement.

Make A Claim

Got a Question?

Call Us

1300 034 888

Product Disclosure Statements


Go to Top